Let me get the ball rolling by saying that if you are looking for a muffin recipe, this is not it. Baked oatmeal is a horse of a different color. In reality, it is more like a bowl of your favorite porridge in a snack like format.
This Baked Oatmeal is not really sweet.
It is chewy and dense.
There is no flour, so is 100% whole grain, which is something many of us are looking for in our daily diets.
But hey, if you like the idea of a breakfast or snack that is completely portable and that can fill you up in the healthiest of ways, this recipe is for you.
Tricks, Hints and Substitutions:
- Substitute Gluten Free Oats for regular oats.
- Buy whole flax seed and store in the fridge. Mill in small quantities using a coffee grinder and also keep in the fridge.
- For a sweeter result use sweetened applesauce.
- Substitute canned fruit for the applesauce. Simply whir up in the blender and freeze any excess.
- Experiment with other flavor extracts: you may need less of some extracts, such as almond and lemon.
- Omit pumpkin seeds and raisins for fewer calories.
- Substitute any dried fruit for the raisins as well as any nut or seed for the pumpkin seeds.
- Use an ice cream scoop for measuring batter. Mine is 1/3 cup and I fill it generously.
Nutrition in a Nutshell:
good source of carbs, fiber, protein and iron
- Flax Meal:
good source of Omega-3 (ALA),fiber and protein
antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, anti-microbial, immunity-boosting, cancer and heart disease-protecting abilities
good source of manganese and fiber.
- Plant Milks:
Soy milk, for instance, is a good source of plant based protein
Do not contain cholesterol, saturated fat and problematic animal protein found in cow’s milk.
- Unsweetened Applesauce:
good source of fiber
- Raw Pumpkin Seeds:
good source of carbohydrates, protein and iron
good source of carbohydrates and antioxidants
Vegan Annie’s Handy Kitchen Tips
Recipes don’t have to be complicated and difficult to do a body good.
If we can’t slow down the pace of daily life, at least let us eat nutrition packed snacks on the go.
May all beings be happy and free.